Updated 3 September 2020.
How much is the VIC First Home Owners Grant?
- For metro areas of Victoria the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) is $10,000.
- For regional Victoria the FHOG has increased to $20,000 from 1 July 2017 until 30 June 2021.
Important eligibility criteria for the Victorian FHOG:
- Eligible property must be a brand new home (purchase or construction) up to a maximum value of $750,000.
- You or your Spouse must never have previously owned and occupied a property, for a continuous period of more than 6 months, in Australia after 1 July 2000.
- You or your Spouse must never have previously owned property in Australia before July 2000.
- You must occupy the home within 1 year, as their principal place of residence, for a continuous period of at least 1 year.
- Regional Victoria is defined over here for areas that qualify for the $20,000 grant.
- For the additional Regional Victoria Grant you must sign a contract by 30 June 2021.
How do I apply for the Grant?
You have options:
- Download the application form and apply yourself. Or;
- Apply through an Approved Agent (recommended if you’re applying for a loan, as your lender is most likely an approved agent).
If you’re applying for a loan, your Lender usually acts as your agent and collects the funds prior to settlement, so you have the money available to you on the day of your purchase settlement.
If you apply yourself, allow at least 2 weeks to receive the funds (and ensure you send all the supporting documents).
Download the FHOG Application here:
To download the FHOG application for VIC click here.
For everything you need to know about the FHOG in Victoria click here.
To learn about the Stamp Duty Concessions for First Home Buyers in VIC click here.
Looking for FHOG info on other States and Territories?
If you’re looking for other States and Territories click here, then select your State.