Updated 22 August 2020.
What Grants are Currently Available in the Northern Territory?
The following Grants are currently available in the Northern Territory.
- First Home Owners Grant of up to $10,000.
- First Home Owner Stamp Duty Discount (OK, this is not a grant).
- Household Goods Grant Scheme for $2,000.
- Home Renovation Grant for $10,000.
NT First Home Owners Grant
The NT First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) is currently $10,000 for transactions dated from 7th May 2019.
Importantly, the Grant is only available for brand new properties (for those buying or building a new home).
Not buying brand new? If you’re buying an established home, you may be eligible for a stamp duty discount of up to $18,601.
What’s the important eligibility criteria I need to know?
- There’s no maximum property value limit (although prior to 13 May 2014, limits were in place).
- Eligible property must be a brand new home that’s never been previously lived in or sold as a principal place of residence.
- You or your Spouse must never have previously received a FHOG in Australia.
- You or your Spouse never owned an interest in a property prior to July 2000.
- At least 1 applicant must occupy the home within 1 year, as their principal place of residence, for a continuous period of at least 6 months.
You can read more about the eligibility criteria over here.
How do I apply for the First Home Owners Grant?
You have options:
- Download the application form and apply yourself (below). Or;
- Apply through an Approved Agent (recommended if you’re applying for a loan).
If you’re applying for a loan, your Lender usually acts as your agent and collects the funds prior to settlement, so you have the money available to you on the day of your purchase settlement.
If you apply yourself, allow at least 2 weeks to receive the funds (and ensure you send all the supporting documents).
More FHOG Information here:
To download the FHOG application for the NT, click here.
Find official first home buyers information here.
Stamp Duty Discount for First Home Buyers in the Northern Territory
There’s currently a stamp duty discount available to First Home Buyers if you’re purchasing established property.
To read more about NT Stamp Duty click here.
The stamp duty discount is not available to purchasers of brand new property (however in that instance you may be eligible for the First Home Owners Grant).
Household Goods Grant Scheme
If you purchase a brand new property as your first home, you may be eligible for the Household Goods Grant of $2,000.
- You must also be eligible for the First Home Owners Grant to qualify.
- For contracts from 1 September 2016.
You can download the Household Goods Grant Guide here.
Home Renovation Grant
If you purchase an established home as your first home, you may be eligible for a Home Renovation Grant of up to $10,000.
Closing: The final date for applications of the home renovation grant is 5pm on 30 November 2020, with no amendments to an application permitted after 31 December 2020.
- The Home Renovation Grant is only available to first home buyers that have already been approved for the First Home Owner Stamp Duty Discount.
- You must use local NT businesses for the renovation, and you can use up to a maximum of 5 different businesses with each allocated a minimum of $500.
For more information on how to apply and sample invoices click here.
Looking for FHOG info on other States and Territories?
If you’re looking for other States and Territories click here, then select your State.
Just wondering whether there are any grants for renovations of houses purchased eight to ten years ago
Hi Rose, yes there currently are grants available if it’s owner occupied – the current HomeBuilder grant for $150,000 renovations. Also within this article the NT Home Renovation grant is mentioned and a link to eligibility criteria is provided so you can take a look to see if you fit the criteria. Otherwise reach out if you need more help 🙂